Henry D. Cozens Scholarship Award
The Henry D. Cozens Scholarship is in recognition of the contributions of the late Henry D. Cozens to the field of power engineering technology. Particularly, his contribution to the National Association of Power Engineers and its predecessors.
In September of 1879, a number of engineers who worked in power plants, met in the engine room of the Providence, Rhode Island Court House, where Henry D. Cozens was Chief Engineer. Under his guidance, they formally organized themselves into a group and called it, The Engineers Association.
Thus it remained for three years when, on October 25, 1882, the original organization was incorporated as the National Association of Stationary Engineers (N.A.S.E.), with Mr. Cozens as its first National President. N.A.S.E. continued and prospered until 1928, when the corporate name was changed to the National Association of Power Engineers (N.A.P.E.).
The Henry D. Cozens Scholarship has been amended since its conception. Originally offered only to sons of members, the scholarship is now available to sons and daughters of members. In 1975, the program was further amended as follows:
1. Members of this Association in good standing are also eligible for the scholarship.
2. Students in any year of study at an accredited college, university or technical college are eligible for the scholarship.
3. Scholarship is in the amount of $1,000 per academic year for one year.
4. A winning applicant wishing to apply for additional scholarship money must submit an application each year.
5. The student must be a full-time student.
6. Payment will be by check, written to the member.
7. Only the winner will be notified of the result of the award.
8. All applications must be returned to the N.A.P.E. National Office:
The National Association of Power Engineers
Attn: Scholarship Chairperson
1 Springfield Street
Chicopee, MA 01013
9. The deadline for filing applications with N.A.P.E. is May 31st of each year.